Wolferts Roost Country Club
Golf Staff
Golf Shop

The Course

The original (1915) golf course at Wolferts Roost, consisting of nine holes with sand greens, was designed by Harold F. Andrews, a civil engineer of Albany.

In 1921, the Club commissioned Albert Warren Tillinghast to redesign the original nine and build an additional nine holes.

The “Twenties” have been called the Golden Age of Golf Course Architecture in America. A. W. Tillinghast, of Philadelphia, was one of the most notable designers of that era. Among the masterpieces created by “Tillie the Terror,” as he was know in his day, were: The Baltimore CC Five Farms Course (1926); Baltusrol GC, Upper and Lower (1922); Quaker Ridge CC (1926); Winged Foot GC, East and West (1923) and, of course, Wolferts Roost.

With the purchase of additional land, the course was altered and expanded in 1931. Leonard Ranier, of Cooperstown, was the architect, and he produced what is basically our present golf course. Ranier was careful to maintain the Tillinghast characteristics in his design. 

Several changes have occurred since 1931, including: a new 8th hole (1938); a new 7th green (1946); addition of the pond and a new green on 14 (1949); the redesign of the 15th green (1958); the addition of the top level to the 6th green (1959), and one of the first automatic irrigation systems in the area was installed in 1964.

In 1987, Geoffrey S. Cornish, of Amherst, Massachusetts, who had been working with the Club for several years on specific projects, was retained to develop a Master Plan for the golf course. Mr. Cornish, author of the largest selling (non-instructional) golf book in history, The Golf Course, the “definitive work on course architecture,” is the designer of more courses in New England than any other architect in history.

Major Tournaments

1952 New York State Men's Amateur Championship
1957 Hearst National Junior Tournament
1963 USGA Junior Girls Championship
1978 Women's Trans National Championship
1988  New York State Men's Mid-Amateur Championship